There is starting to be more recognition of postpartum depression in women. (Still working on raising awareness about postpartum anxiety!) But did you know that 1 in 10 dads develop postpartum depression or anxiety?
You are especially at risk if you have a history of depression or if you partner is experiencing a PMAD. Symptoms can occur during your partners’ pregnancy or any time during the baby’s first year.
Look for these signs:
Symptoms of depression:
- Depressed or sad mood
- Loss of interest in activities
- Significant weight loss or gain
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- Fatigue or loss of energy (more than just due to having a newborn)
- Strong feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Symptoms of anxiety:
- Panic attacks
For more information and support, check out postpartummen.com.