Counseling in Fishers, IN
The field of “perinatal mental health” encompasses the many stages of becoming a parent…
- Family planning
- Trying to conceive
- Miscarriage, stillbirth, infant loss
- Postpartum (up to 12 months after delivery)
What do you do when motherhood turns out to be NOT be what you were expecting? Instead of feeling happy, confident, and attached to your baby, you feel overwhelmed, anxious, and guilty… and even wonder if you might be going crazy.
I help moms realize they are not alone, tap into resources around them and learn to take care of themselves, relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety, feel more attached to their baby and partner, and experience more hope and happiness about their future. Counseling for postpartum depression and anxiety can help you feel better about yourself and your role as a mom.
One in every seven pregnant women and new moms experience some type of mood or anxiety disorder.
If you are pregnant or in the first 12 months after delivery…
- Are you having difficulty bonding with your baby?
- Do you feel anxious or panicky?
- Are you having problems with eating or sleeping?
- Are you having upsetting thoughts that you can’t get out of your mind?
- Do you feel as if you are “out of control” or “going crazy”?
- Are you worried that you might hurt yourself or your baby?
Any of these symptoms (and more) could indicate that you have a form of perinatal mood or anxiety disorder, such as postpartum depression or postpartum anxiety. Symptoms can appear during pregnancy or within the first 12 months after delivery.
The good news is there are well-researched methods of treatment that can help you recover. Treatment for PMADs (Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders) might include a combination of: individual and couples counseling, medication, education, and support groups.
Your non-mobile infant is welcome to attend therapy sessions with you. Once your baby is mobile, I recommend making other arrangements so you can attend by yourself to allow you to focus on your session.
I have completed the following trainings in this specialty area:
– Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders: Components of Care (Postpartum Support International)
– Advanced Psychotherapy for Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders (Postpartum Support International)
– Advanced Practice of EMDR for Perinatal and Infant Mental Health (Institute for Creative Mindfulness)
Learn more about symptoms, treatment, and support groups in your area at postpartum.net.